Saturday, May 1, 2010

Day 24

This was plumbing day. And only plumbing, so the project lead left soon after the plumbers got here. We now have a cabinet full of shiny new pipes and a new disposal.

Check out this faucet! It's what we ordered, of course, but it looks like we stole it from Hagrid's hut at Hogwarts. It's huge! I don't understand why Kohler would create a perfectly normal-sized sink and then design a faucet that's more appropriate for a swimming pool. As with the aircraft carrier--I mean island, and the super-sized cabinet pulls, I will get used to it. But it is sort of this giant sentinel, standing guard over our kitchen...

Experienced a big uh-oh when I looked inside the sink. The plumbers had installed a chrome flange on the disposal side instead of the oil-rubbed bronze one that matches the left side and the faucet. Hummph--either it didn't fit or it was defective. Jim and I figured we'd take up the issue with the project lead first thing Monday morning, and we headed out for some late afternoon cycling.

But no. The project lead called me on my cell phone at 4:30 when we were about five miles down the bike trail. Sure enough, he said, the Kohler flange does not fit the Kohler sink (how dumb is that?) but he already had two possible solutions for us. The first was a set of oil-rubbed bronze flanges from a different manufacturer. Unfortunately, they were bronze in name only and were actually made of plastic. That didn't sound so good. The second choice was a set of metal flanges in the same biscuit color as the sink. On the spot, we decided to go with that. It may not be quite the same color as the sink, but it should be close enough.

I have to say, I am not as impressed with Kohler as I thought I would be, but I am more and more impressed with our contractor. Did I mention I loved this guy?

Not to be outdone, we also have a shiny new dishwasher, hooked up and ready to go. Well, not quite, as the final electrical happens on Monday.

End of week 5--and what a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment